I would always just fob her off with excuses telling her I was too busy to learn to drive or that I would learn eventually. Thinking that I wouldn’t need a car as I could get anywhere on public transport. Well, now I finally understand why people say driving gives you freedom…because it really does.
At the moment my life is crazy between decorating, getting out and about, work stuff and other exciting opportunities and events coming up I’ve never realised just how important having a car can actually be. The freedom of being able to jump in a car and go and do anything I need to would be so handy right now!
I haven’t had a driving lesson for 18 months, I was put off after having a driving instructor who I just didn’t feel comfortable with and so I never carried on lessons once I moved to Cardiff. However, I decided recently enough was enough it was about time I resumed with my lessons for and for all.
And so today I had my first lesson in over 18 months..it was interesting…I was incredibly nervous (in fact I was that nervous I was shaking) but the instructor was lovely and reassuring so I know I can stick with it with this time. Anyway, here’s what I’ve learnt;-
- You don’t know how you’ll feel about driving a car until you get behind the wheel. I was confident about driving literally right until the pint I had to drive. It can be quite scary!
- Finding different gears without looking is fucking hard. I mean seriously who choose to make them so hard to change!
- Instructors aren’t all scary, they just want to help you the only way they can. Driving instructors are literally just there to teach you how to pass a test to a passing standard but the rest is up to you. That’s why you need to take on board everything they say, they aren’t teachers at school they’re instructors.
- Driving lessons are expensive, seriously like £220 for TEN lessons, TEN! And the average person takes 45 hours. You do the math.
- You won’t pass your test in a month, it can take some people years to learn but when it clicks it just clicks (apparently) I always thought I’d pass in like three months yeah…turns out not….